Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nativity: The First Tradition

When Jess was growing up, his family had a tradition of putting out the Nativity at the very first of the holiday season, before anything else. I love this tradition, and Jess and I have wholeheartedly incorporated this wonderful little idea. Tonight, while Jess read the story of Christ's birth in Luke, the kids took turns setting up pieces of the Nativity. They had a great time, and I love that putting up the Nativity before the tree and the lights puts the most important reason of Christmas--The birth of out Savior Jesus Christ--in the forefront of our minds. After Jess read the story, we sang a few Christmas songs and got really excited for Christmas! The Christmas songs about Christ always bring a wonderful spirit. I am so glad we get to carry on family traditions and incorporate things from both sides of the family. Don't worry...Christmas Eve will find the kids acting out the Nativity, another wonderful tradition from my side, that I know many people do! Enjoy the pictures!Alyssa was sooo careful with baby Jesus. Lindsey is little Mother---I love her!Mitch and Lins are good friends:) They are getting it just right.Alyssa was sad that daddy wouldnt let her touch the nativity and play with it after--now she has her own in her room.The After picture. It is even ok that Alyssa put the donkey in the rafters! The kids had fun! Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

That is a fun tradition! What a great way to start out the season!

Kristy said...

LOVE This, great idea!

gina said...

That is a great tradition Nance. As you very well know, I enjoy a good tradition with substance, not just doing a time/money wasting tradition because that is the way it has been done for x amount of years. Good job!

Tiffany said...

How fun, I just might steal that idea! But it will have to wait until I get a real nativity.

Irene said...

I think that is a great tradition! Such a great way to help your kids learn the importance of Christ's birth. The other day I was trying to explain what Christmas means to Nathan and he was not understanding. He is too traumatized by me explaining Easter to him. He kept asking me why "bad guys" nailed him to a cross.

Scarlett said...

What a great thing to do with your kids! I can't believe how fast they have grown! Time sure does fly!