Thursday, June 19, 2008

How do I keep summer fun?

So I haven't updated for awhile 1. Because we have had some computer issues 2. My camera needs new batteries, and I pretty much need a new one anyway and 3. We are very boring around here. I feel like I need to have something interesting to say so I don't waste anyone's (The 3 people who actually read this) time. Well...life isn't getting interesting anytime soon so what can I do to make summer fun? I told my kids before school got out that we could plan 1 fun thing to do a week through the summer. I wish I had more energy to do more than that but that isn't going to happen this year. I am also on a tighter budget this year so I need some ideas. We are done with Discovery Gateway(we had a pass last year and my kids need a break from it) but other than that I would welcome any ideas. Some things we have planned include 1. Going to the fountains at Gateway and Liberty Park 2. Of course Wheeler Farm 3. Going with Suzanne to Thanksgiving Point. Any ideas(especially free would be great) I feel like I don't want to let my kids down this summer. It has been a rough few months and they have been little troopers. M and L have learned how to do their own laundry and have been really good helpers. I feel like I need to really get out there and make a stronger effort to have fun with them. I feel like a slacker lately.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I try to have it somewhat structured. doing something daily. They are mostly free things, but it works. Have a Library day. and participate in your local library summer reading program. Also, like to have going on bike/walk day, swimming or water day and so forth. It helps with our focus for the day. It doesn't mean that they can't ride bikes the other days. I just don't go with them and all that. you know have park day, (go to a really cool park that isn't a normal one for you!) you get the idea, I'm sure. I also, try and make them have chores done at a certain time so we are free to do the "activities". Also, check out Regal cinemas, they do a free movie every week, for their family film festival. I go to the website and with the kids help we decide whick movies to attend for the summer and we map it out on the calendar. They always show a G and a PG movie twice a week. Look up which theater it is in your area. Sorry it is so long! I love to hear from you though!!

chrissy said...

Shanna!

I'm glad you found me. Truth is, I've bee stalking your blog a little bit too. It feels freeing to be out in the open! ;)

It's late and my brain's on shut-down mode, but I'm sure I'll think of other things later... But what about Liberty park? Ya, I know it sounds scary and all, but it's awesome, I promise. Just go during the day and go with a friend. We love that park because of how cool the playground is. Plus, they've got a really big water feature the kids can play in and climb on. Google it and check it out. :)

chrissy said...

Oh hey, do you mind if I link you on my blog???

chrissy said...

yep, feel free to link me too :)

Unknown said...

Hi Shanna,

It's Heather Swanson, from the old Midvale ward. I saw your comment on Chrissy's blog and thought to myself, "I wonder if that's Shanna Hansen???" and sure enough, it is! Hope you don't mind me taking a peek at your blog. I can't beleive how old Mitch & Linds are now!!!! I remember teaching them in sunbeams - they were always two of my favorites! And your youngest daughter is super cute too! What a beautiful family.

Feel free to stop by my blog, but I have to warn you that it's somewhat controversal for some people. ha, ha! I'm very open, and probably share a little TMI!

Anyway, glad that things are going well for you all!

Tiffany said...

Hey Shanna! Looks like you have been busy enough to me! I feel the same way, but its not that we can't go out and do those things, its just getting out with the 4 kids by myself...such as the library. I get anxious just thinking about taking Nate and Peyton there where it is supposed to be quite. It won't be when they are there!